Microbiology & Immunology Publications
The effect of protein and urine on uropathogen adhesion to polymer substrata
URL with Digital Object Identifier
Lactobacilli and uropathogenic bacteria isolated from the female urogenital tract were tested for their susceptibility to nonoxynol-9. Nonoxynol-9 is a spermicidal compound, generally used at a concentration of 5% in cream and 12.5% in foam. The growth of 67% of fresh, vaginal lactobacillus isolates was inhibited by concentrations of nonoxynol-9 between 0.1% and 1.0%; these were termed sensitive. Of a total of 47 lactobacilli from various sources, 55% were found to be sensitive to nonoxynol-9, being bacteriostatic for 42% of these isolates and bactericidal for the remaining 58% at N-9 concentrations ≥1.0%. The remaining lactobacilli and 96% (48/50) of uropathogenic organisms had minimal inhibitory concentrations of ≥25% for nonoxynol-9. Inhibition of the lactobacilli did not appear to be species specific nor related to the source of the lactobacilli. The adhesion of Gram-positive bacteria, namely lactobacilli and enterococci, to HeLa cells in tissue culture was significantly increased over 60 min in the presence of physiologically used concentrations of nonoxynol-9; however, adhesion of Escherichia coli was not affected. We believe that nonoxynol-9 has the potential to increase susceptibility to urinary tract infection in women using spermicidal preparations for contraception by inhibiting the growth of lactobacilli, which are believed to have a protective function in the vagina, and allowing overgrowth of uropathogenic bacteria. © 1990 Springer-Verlag New York Inc.