Paediatrics Publications

Title

Do we need to worry about mycophenolate overdose?

Document Type

Article

Publication Date

1-1-2014

Journal

Expert Opinion on Drug Safety

Volume

13

Issue

5

First Page

521

Last Page

524

URL with Digital Object Identifier

10.1517/14740338.2014.905540

Abstract

Introduction: To discuss the significance of the recent observational case series from the Swiss Toxicological Information Centre (STIC). Mycophenolic acid (MPA) and its prodrug mycophenolate mofetil are immunosuppressive agents that are frequently prescribed in renal transplant recipients, and their safety profiles must be established. Areas covered: This case series and systemic literature analysis consists of 15 cases of MPA overdose from the STIC and a systemic analysis of the literature over the past 18 years. This study focuses on acute overdosing, the effects of which are presumably mild. In contrast, the effects of long-term overdosing may be much more severe. Substantial underreporting is likely. The pharmacokinetic monitoring of MPA is rarely performed, which is both striking and does not coincide with findings in academic literature. The scant data on pharmacokinetic monitoring presented demonstrated that MPA has a short terminal half-life, which suggests that decontamination and activated charcoal treatment in acute overdose may not be necessary. Expert opinion: The case series and systematic literature analysis of acute mycophenolate overdose represent an important contribution toward increasing the safety of MPA therapy. © 2014 Informa UK, Ltd.

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS