Yvonne Williams (1901-1997) was one of the first women to establish their own stained glass studio in Canada. Williams would produce well over 400 stained glass windows across the country and her influence and mentorship was equally expansive. Williams studied sculpture and painting at the Ontario College of Art (now Ontario College of Art and Design, or OCAD) in the 1920s before developing an interest and began studying glass art in North America (Toronto, St. Louis and Philadelphia). Eventually, Williams traveled to England, France and Italy. After her six-month European observations, Williams returned to the United States and began an apprenticeship with Charles Connick Studios in Boston from 1927-1930. Williams would return to Toronto and establish her first studio there in 1934. After travels to Chartres (France), Williams would return to Toronto to build a large glass studio at 2 Caribou Road in the late 1940s. Williams would use this studio for nearly 30 years and produced hundreds of windows for both public, private ,and ecclesiastical patrons.
Williams received numerous awards and recognitions during her lifetime. Among them were the Allied Arts Medal from Royal Architectural Institute of Canada; her election into the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts; Zonta Toronto Medallion; and the use of her windows for Canadian postage stamps in 1976 and 1997.
Locations of William's Works:
St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church
The Anglican Church of the Transfiguration
Necropolis, Riverdale Cemetery
St. Michael of All Angels Anglican Church