“In loving memory of Juliet A.F. Burwell, Maude E.C. Burwell, Agnes L.G. Burwell”
An allegorical figure of Charity distributes bread to a hungry woman.
Juliet (1865-1946), (1871-1943), and Agnes (1873-1939), the daughters of Edward and Matilda Burwell, were descendants of Colonel Mahlon Burwell, a native of New Jersey, who was the land surveyor and registrar for Middlesex County from 1811 to 1843. Agnes, in 1989-99, was a teacher at Hellmuth College, on the site of which the church now stands. All three sisters contributed to the building Fund of St. John the Evangelist in 188.
The window reflects the lives of the three women of the Burwell family who were faithful members of the parish. They are listed among members of the Women’s Auxilary of the Missionary Society of the Anglican Church of Canada whose preserving work laid a strong and lasting foundation here.
Information from Trumpeting Our Stained Glass Windows, Elizabeth Spicer’s catalogue of the windows from the Church of St. John the Evangelist.
St. John the Evangelist
Stained glass, Church, Church window, London, Ontario